Tagline

Kayaker, Engineer, Athlete, Tinkerer

Friday, June 15, 2012

New boats, High water, and Carnage


(Sunday 10th) The day after arriving in Villette I paddled a wavehopper for the day since we couldn’t find the Speed art boats the night before. For the first run we would do the classic course with an additional 6 minutes of warm up river. The two first impressions I had of the river were wow this is fast and this is very cold.  Even with the air temperatures in the 60’s I could still see my breath on the river. This course definitely deserves all the hype. It is very big pushy, fast and technical. The race lines are all good, but if you are not on line in several spots you can easily break a boat. For the first day I did one full classic in the morning and one run from bourgh in the afternoon with the girls. That night the Australian team as well as Ben Oakely of the British team stopped by to talk for a little while and we decided that we would meet up in the morning and do a run as well as drop a tip that the Croatian team had dropped some boats in a village somewhere up the valley.  Both Chris and I were eager to get our boats so we left that night with Emmanuel to try and find them. I was pouring rain and had been raining for quite a while at this point.  After a couple of wrong turns eventually we found them and even with a rain soaked bag we could tell that they were light.  When we got back Chris and I pulled our boats to examine them and we were both very pleased our designs had come out exactly like we wanted and the build quality them seemed very good.
(Monday 11th)The next day the river was very high.  I still didn’t have my boat so I was in the wavehopper.  After seeing the level, only Emmanuel and Ben Oakely were interested in getting a run in, and since I had a wavehopper I figured I would give it a go.  Within 2mins of putting on I knew this was going to be quite a run.   The river felt like it was at flood stage just huge waves and monster holes and the water was a dark shade of grey.  I managed alright for the first half negotiating the 2 meter high waves. But after passing the halfway bridge the “big” stuff began. 
Things got even bigger and pushier with the lines becoming narrower and completely disappearing in some cases.  At one point I went around the corner just to see ben (who has had top 10 finished in worlds) get back endered out of a massive hole.  In a split second I look to the left and right to evaluate my options, the hole is nearly river wide with was looks like a weak point right of center.  Since I am in a long boat the doesn’t turn very well punching it was the only option.  I just put my head down and pulled for all I was worth.  After I dropped down the face of it into the meat of the foampile I am stopped dead and begin to feel the sickening feeling as I am ever so slowly sucked back in.  The next second I am looking straight up at the sky as I am vertically back endered in 4meter long boat.  Luckily I ride the ender out of the hole and fall clear of the boil line where I scull for a while to get back upright.  Then I had to get my wits together and finish out the run.  Emmanuel and Ben had eddied out above the sprint course to get a breather and make sure I was still in my boat.   After letting out hearts slow down a little we eddied back out the finish the madness.  The sprint course was as big as the rest of the run but luckily the lines remained the same.  When we finished we got out and just sat for a bit relaxing.  That was notably the hardest thing I have ever paddled in a boat.  The green narrows have nothing on the Isere at 60cumecs.
Nobody wanted to do another run so we decided to get lunch and Emmanuel would do some boat repair while I would make some bow crunch pads for both of the Wishes.  This was made even more interesting because the resin we bought from zastera was horribly slow, I was worried it wouldn’t cure at all. After 4 hours it was still very flexible, we both said screw it, took them off and went to paddle the upper section so we could get a feel for out new boats. The boats are very nice they are very responsive on waves.  We paddled with the women this afternoon which was interesting, there were many eddy outs and even two swims not even on the classic course so the next two weeks will be very interesting.  When we got back the crunch pads were still flexible so we taped them on and hoped for the best.

 (Tuesday 12th) The next morning it appeared as if the resin was in fact working as the crunch pads appeared to have hardened some, which was good because Emmanuel and I were going to do two classic runs with the Aussies and Ben.  First time on the real classic course in my race boat and I was very nervous. Fortunatly because it had been raining a lot the water lever was very good and things were padded a little more so there wasn’t much boat tapping.  End result was I could keep up with Emmanuel pretty well as well as the slower of the Aussies.  I felt very good about the runs and decided that was enough for the day. In the afternoon Emmanuel and I went into Bourgh to buy important things like beer and fly paper for the hourdes of flies in our house.  Nothing much eventful happened other then Emmanuel left to see his sports medicine doctor in Lyon because his back was bothering him.

(Wednesday 13th) Since Emmauel was gone I met up with the Aussies for two upper runs in the morning.  The first was more of a warm up steady state session, and the next I did 5 times 4mins on with 2mins rest.  It was good to do a real workout on a section I was very comfortable on so I could get a feel for how the boat responds at race pace. The more I paddle the wish the more I get used to and like it. It moves very well and as long as I keep the blades in the water forward and not past the hips the boat feels very good in the big whitewater. After the two runs Chris and I headed back to eat some food and rest a bit. I was eating speculoos and nutella, and drinking chimay while cooking more food for later it was very relaxing.
Later in the afternoon Chris wanted to do some sprint runs and I didn’t really want to paddle so I went along to video and act as safety.  Well I was able to video but the safety wasn’t as effective. Chris ended up falling out of the boat on his 4th run and right when the throw bag was about to land on him he was pulled under a wave and missed the rope. He was able to get out with his paddle, but the boat was washed downstream.  After chasing it along the bike path for several hundred meters we were not able to catch it. So we loaded up and drove way downstream to the village of centron to see if it would pass through there.  Luckily I had a good book with me so I just sat with the sun on my back and a throwbag near my and just relaxed and read for a while.  Shortly after the sun dropped behind the mountain Chris came back unsuccessfully.









No comments:

Post a Comment